5 Benefits of Jaw Surgery
Orthognathic surgery, otherwise known as jaw surgery is performed by Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons to correct an array of jaw-related problems that affect everyday life. Surgery is an option when problems with the teeth and bite alignment cannot be corrected with traditional orthodontic treatments.
- Pain Relief: One reason that many people decide to have jaw surgery is to relieve jaw pain. Often with misaligned jaws, one experiences strain on the muscles that surround the jaw area. This discomfort can often be decreased with surgery.
- Chewing: Jaw surgery realigns the jaw, allowing for the teeth to have optimal bite function. This makes chewing easier and may allow you to enjoy foods that you were not able to eat previously. An improvement in chewing function will also show a noticeable improvement in digestion.
- Tooth Wear: Once the jaw is correctly aligned, the teeth themselves will also benefit. Teeth that are correctly aligned will have overall better wear and tear because the pressure of the bite will be spread evenly around the jaw.
- Speech: The correction of jaw alignment can have a positive effect on speech. The alignment of the jaw doesn’t only affect eating; it can also affect our speech. Correcting the jawline has been shown to improve speech capabilities.
- Appearance: The correction of the jaw often will result in an improved facial appearance allowing many to find newfound confidence after their jaw surgery.
Corrective jaw surgery will position your jaws and teeth into a more functional and healthy bite. The overall improvement to your jaw will allow for an increased enjoyment in life.
If you are wondering if jaw surgery would be beneficial to you, give our office a call at Vero Beach Surgical Arts Phone Number (772) 770-9191 to schedule a consultation.
Comments are closed.